To enter and work in China you will need to obtain a Z visa prior to your departure. Tourist and business visit visas do not entitle you to work in China.
Z visas are issued to foreigners that have already been offered a job in China and received their work permit from their employer.
A Z visa allows you to stay in the country for 30 days from the date of arrival. During this time your employer/ school will seek a temporary residence permit for the duration of your contract.
- Passport (valid for a minimum of 18 months from the date submitting your application and with a sufficient number of blank pages. Must be the same as the one used to apply for the work permit)
- Completed online visa application. You will need to fill out the form on your computer. (from the 17th December 2018 the Visa Application Centres will implement an online application form and appointment system.)
- Passport photo (guidelines here)
- Work permit (provided by the school/employer)
- Supporting documents (might be required to submit supporting documents on a case-by-case basis.):
- Invitation letter/ contract
- Health certificate/ Medical check
- A legalised non-criminal record check
- Your fingerprints will be collected when you submit your visa application.
You will need to book an appointment with the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre (CVASC)
Access the Step by step guide, click here!
As of October 3rd, 2018 applications made via post are not accepted.
Regular service: The processing time is usually 4 working days
Express service: The processing time is usually 3 working days
You can request to have your passport returned to you via post at a small fee. (If the applicant requests to have the passport returned by post while lodging the application at the counter, the service time does not include Royal Mail post time.)
Payment will be taken when you submit your visa application.
The information on this page is subject to change.