A Beginner’s Guide to Teaching in China: How to Obtain a Basic Disclosure (UK)

Share with you friend

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

To work as a teacher in China you need a clean criminal record. To prove this you will need to apply for a basic disclosure from Disclosure Scotland or the Disclosure and Barring Service in the UK.

This document is only valid for six months after the date of issue.


You’ll need to pay when you apply using a credit or debit card.

14 calendar days (not including postage time).

You’ll need the following information to hand before you start your online application:

1. Your address details for the past five years
2. Your National Insurance number
3. pen and paper/printer to note down your reference number at the end of the process
4. You’ll need to supply a copy of one piece of personal ID which includes your date of birth, such as your:
a. passport
b. driving licence
c. birth certificate
d. National Identity card
5. You’ll also need to supply a copy of one of the following, which includes your current address:
a. utility bill (gas, electric or landline telephone)
b. rental agreement/mortgage (must be typed not handwritten)
c. current bank statement
d. doctor’s letter

Track your application
48 hours after you’ve applied, you’ll be able to use the application tracker to see the progress of your application.

Reference number
The acknowledgement will include an 18-digit application reference number. It will look something like this: 008171475060354444.

By telephone: 03000 2000 40 –

Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5 pm

Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm

(Standard rate – find out more about call charges)

If you’re calling from overseas telephone 0044141 427 2284
By email: info@disclosurescotland.gsi.gov.uk

Apply for basic disclosure - links below:

Close Menu